|The Jacksonville Children’s Museum got its first home – 1061 Riverside Avenue – in 1948.|
|MOSH’s Naturalists have offered hands-on learning opportunities for decades. These opossums were part of the living collection in 1967.|
|MOSH Timeline1941 The Association for Childhood Education charters The Jacksonville Children’s Museum.1948 The Jacksonville Children’s Museum moves in a Victorian mansion in Riverside.1969 Opened 33,000-square-foot building in a more centralized downtown location along the Southbank.1977 The Jacksonville Children’s Museum becomes the Jacksonville Museum of Arts and Sciences.
1983 The Museum earns its first accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums.
1988 The Jacksonville Museum of Arts and Sciences becomes the Museum of Science and History (MOSH). 37,500 square feet of space is added including the Alexander Brest Planetarium.
1993 MOSH is designated a Florida Major Cultural institution by the Department of State.
1994 The current building is renovated to expand the core exhibition galleries, add program and classroom space, increase collection storage spaces, and upgrade all of the support systems.
1996 Opened core exhibit Atlantic Tails: Whales, Dolphins & Manatees of Northeast Florida
1996 MOSH receives the Mimi and Lee Adams Environmental Award for the exhibit Atlantic Tails: Whales, Dolphins & Manatees of Northeast Florida
1997 Completed renovations increasing square footage to 82,200 square feet.
1997 Earned subsequent accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums.
1997 Opened core exhibit Currents of Time: A History of Jacksonville & Northeast Florida.
1997 Received Jacksonville Environmental Protection Agency Institution’s Award for Atlantic Tails: Whales, Dolphins & Manatees of Northeast Florida
1997 Named Smithsonian Affiliate.
1998 Received National Award of Commendation from the American Association for State and Local History for the interpretation of regional history through the exhibit Currents of Time: A History of Jacksonville & Northeast Florida.
1999 Received City of Jacksonville Historic Preservation Award for Currents of Time: A History of Jacksonville & Northeast Florida.
1999 Named International Star Station One partner.
2002 Opened renovated JEA Science Theater.
2002 Opened core exhibit Aqua Expo.
2004 Opened core science exhibit Universe of Science.
2005 Opened core exhibit Florida Naturalist’s Center.
2008 Opened core aquarium exhibit Water Worlds.
2009 Commemorated 60th anniversary of continuous contract with Duval County Public Schools.
2009 Opened core health science exhibit The Body Within in partnership with Baptist Health.
2009 Opened new 2,400 square foot classroom suite on the Museum’s first floor.
2010 Unveiled the new Bryan-Gooding Planetarium in the fully renovated Alexander Brest Science Theater.
2010 Opened the Space Science Gallery.
2011 Complete Phase I of the Hixon Native Plant Courtyard renovation.
2011 Earned subsequent reaccreditation from the American Alliance of Museums.
2012 Completed Phase II of the Hixon Native Plant Courtyard renovation.
2012 Opened Interpreting Northeast Florida: A Historic Mural by Elmer Grey in partnership with Naval Air Station Jacksonville.
2013 Opened core exhibit JEA PowerPlay: Understanding Our Energy Choices and the newly renovated JEA Science Theater.
2013 Received City of Jacksonville Historic Preservation Award for signature exhibit Jacksonville by Design: AIA Celebrates 100 Years of Architecture.
2013 Named 2013 Best Museum and 2013 Best Educational Camp by Jax4Kids.
2014 Received Nonprofit Center of Northeast Florida’s Change Agent Award for the community-wide RACE initiative.
2014 Received the 2014 Collaboration and Innovation award for RACE: Are We So Different?
2014 Regional Council Special Achievement Award in Partnership with Mayor Alvin Brown for 450 Years of French History in Florida.
2015 Received City of Jacksonville Historic Preservation Award for signature exhibit Uncovering the Past: New Archaeological Discoveries of Northeast Florida.